One of my favourite summer meals is this Asian noodle salad. Packed full of crunchy vegetables and refreshing herbs this salad is sure to be a crowd favourite. It pairs perfectly with grilled meat or seafood and makes a great potluck dish.
One tip when making any cold salad is to add some of the dressing to the noodles while they are still warm. As the noodles cool down they will absorb the dressing rather than just coating the outside. This trick also works for making potato or quinoa salads.
I tend to use recipes as a guide and adjust them based on my own personal preferences or what I have on hand. You’ll find that peppers are conveniently omitted from all of my recipes, as I don’t like them. But if you like peppers I’m sure they would be a great colourful addition to this salad.
Refreshing Asian Noodle Salad, Serves 4 -6, recipe by Kirsten
2 cups cooked noodles (rice, soba, spaghetti, etc)
3 cups mixed green and red cabbage, thinly sliced.
1 carrot, grated
½ cucumber, julienned
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 medium tomato, chopped (or ~1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes)
2 green onion, chopped
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
¼ cup fresh cilantro
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 garlic, minced
1 red chilies, minced, or more depending on how much spice you can take.
2 tablespoon oil
avocado, peanuts, cashews, spinach, mango, additional mint/cilantro
- Wash and prep the vegetables, set aside.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, chilies and oil. Taste the dressing and adjust as needed, too acidic? Add a little bit more sugar. Too salty? Add more acid. The key to this dressing is finding balance between sweet, salty, acid, and heat.
- Cook noodles according to package and drain. While the noodles are still warm transfer them to a large bowl and add ½ of the dressing.
- Allow the noodles/dressing mixture to cool before adding the vegetables and the remaining dressing.
- At this point the salad can be kept in the fridge until ready to be used. Prior to serving add garnishes of your choosing.