With autumn just around the corner many people are mourning the end of summer. On the other hand, even though I love summer, I look forward to autumn each year; not only can I start wearing boots and scarves again but also my apartment finally cools down enough for me to use my oven! For those of you who are dreading the transition here is one of my favourite summer desserts to ease the pain.
This is not your ordinary peach pie. It has all the traditional components, but the addition of an oat crumble and salted caramel really elevates this dessert and makes it something truly special. For even more of an indulgence you could always add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I mean what’s pie without ice cream?
This caramel recipe is by far the easiest version I have come across in my recipe travels. It doesn’t require a thermometer and you can use milk or cream with equal success. It’s delicious on freshly baked pies, ice cream or licked directly off the spoon. It’s also highly addictive so you’ve been warned…
Peach Crumble Pie with Salted Caramel Sauce
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food
Single Crust Pastry Dough:
1 ¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
½ cup chilled butter
3-5 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Filling:
6-8 large peaches, enough to make 8 cups of sliced peaches
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the Crumble:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cup old fashion rolled oats
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup heavy cream or milk
1 teaspoon salt
Make the Dough:
1. Mix together flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter either by hand or with a food processor.
2. Slowly add 3 tablespoons of water and stir until just combined; do not overwork the dough or you will end up with tough pastry. Once you’ve added the water squeeze a small amount of the dough to test whether it holds together in a ball. If not then add more water one tablespoon at a time.
3. Form pastry into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Make the Filling:
1. Slice pieces into ½ inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
2. Add flour, brown sugar , cinnamon. Stir until combined then set aside.
1. Cream together room temperature butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
2. Stir in flour and oats. Set aside.
Assemble the pie:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough into a 12 inch circle. Place in a 9-inch deep pie plate leaving dough hanging over the rim. Crimp the edges.
3. Add peach filling then top evenly with crumb topping.
4. Bake for 60-75 minutes, allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.
Make the Caramel Sauce
1. While the pie cooks, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened to desired consistency.
If you are lucky to have leftover pie store it at room temperature for up to two days. Extra caramel sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to one week. Enjoy!