I originally posted this recipe when I did a guest spot on my sister-in-law’s blog (click here for all your cloth diapering needs). She was nice enough to let me practice blogging, but now that I have my own site this muffin recipe deserves a repost. Not only is this recipe quick and easy to make but it’s also a great way to use up ripe bananas. If you are anything like me, by the end of the week you likely have some bananas that are well past their prime. One handy tip, instead of throwing the whole banana into the freezer, try peeling and cutting them into bite sized pieces first. Once cut they can be individually frozen on a cookie sheet then placed into freezer bags. This way you have frozen bananas on hand for banana bread, smoothies or these wonderful, not too sweet, blueberry banana bran muffins.
This recipe can be easily doubled (or tripled), so save yourself some time and make a large batch. They freeze well and can be defrosted quickly in the microwave. For an extra special treat I like to throw in some dark chocolate chips.
Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins
makes 12 muffins. Recipe by Kirsten
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of natural bran
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup of brown sugar
1 cup of mashed bananas (2-3 depending on size)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine flour, bran, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together brown sugar, mashed bananas, oil, and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Toss the blueberries with the flour mixture, then make a well and add the banana mixture. Stir 10-12 times until flour is just combined – it’s ok if there are a few lumps.
- Portion batter into muffin tins and place one blueberry on top of each muffin for decoration. Bake for 15-20 minutes.