A few years ago, on our way back from Mexico, we decided to bring back a rather large bottle of tequila. I don’t know why we did this, maybe it was too much sun (or maybe too many drinks at the beach?), but at the time we thought it was a good idea. Fast forward 4 years and we still have a huge bottle of tequila sitting on our shelf. In my attempt to slowly make our way through the bottle, without actually drinking it, I came up with this marinade for chicken. It’s now my go-to whenever I need super flavourful chicken for a Mexican inspired meal. It’s delicious on tacos, quesadillas, or as a topping for a nice salad. I recommend getting the marinade started first, because you want to let the chicken soak up all the flavours for at least 30 minutes before you cook it. While you are waiting, you can prep the rest of the ingredients for the warm corn salsa.
Speaking of warm corn salsa, it is absolutely addictive. Sweet, salty, spicy, and a little sour from the fresh lime juice. It really deserves it’s own blog post, but for today it will have to settle for sharing the spotlight with this grilled tequila lime chicken.
This is the perfect summer evening meal: it requires little prep, is bursting with fresh summer flavours, and utilizes the BBQ. If like me, you aren’t lucky enough to have an outdoor BBQ, you can use a cast iron grill-pan or an electric grill. Or in a pinch you can simply use a frying pan. Any way you cook this chicken it will be delicious.
Tequila Lime Chicken with Warm Corn Salsa
Serves 4, recipe by Kirsten
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper
Warm Corn Salsa:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups of corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium sized jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (~2 cups), sliced
- juice of one large lime (or 2 small limes)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Serve with sliced avocado and a nice green salad.
For the chicken:
- Combine all the marinate ingredients and pour over chicken. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a preheated grill, cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway, until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps to seal in all the wonderful juices.
For the salsa:
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the corn to the onion mixture, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick.
- Next add the lime juice and chopped tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, then mix in chopped cilantro and feta cheese.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
**If you are using this chicken for tacos, once it is cooked slice into bite-sized pieces, place into warmed tortilla shells, top with the corn salsa and some avocado, sour cream, and fresh lime juice. Yum.